Tuesday, February 2, 2016

15 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Fitness - Part 1

MOTIVATION

 a ten letter word that is so hard to keep up. If this specific word has a gender, it probably is a lady that is super high maintenance.

We all can relate to writing resolutions at the start of the year and planing to work out – actively tackling it on the next few days, only to stop after a week or so, then trash it all and go back to the same old rut. It is the second month of the New Year, so how are we with our goals and plans?

But, how does a regular pinay with lots of things in her plate, find motivation to exercise when you feel that just thinking about it makes you tired already? I ask myself this million peso question every now and then, and I know that I’m not the only one.
Image from the net

Yes I have days when I struggle with putting in a workout in my schedule. I know that I should start making it a habit until it is part of my PinayFitness Routine, but the "M" word  is needed until the habit sticks and that, is where the challenge begins.

Recently however, I felt so happy because after lots of failed tries,  I was able to actually work on my goal – I was able to find motivation that was needed to make the habit stick. 
In this post, I am sharing what I did differently and what had helped get back on track.

The happiest loss of all. Loss of excess body fat.
Feel free to see if you can make some of these ideas “your own” so you can start working on your fitness goals..


     1.    Your before picture.
The past months have been really telling that I haven’t been exercising. The picture below shows how, from a fit 2014 me, I was transformed to a fatter version of myself.
This is an actual example on how physical change happens pretty fast,
specially in your mid 40s

My kids usually comment on how I gained weight and had been teasing me a lot about it  and that motivated me to do something before it goes awry – making it hard for me to get back.

     2.    Me Time.

Capturing the moment. My youngest kiddo and her "me-time" on the treadmill.
I enjoy spending time alone a lot. A time to think about things in my own personal quiet time. As a mom, a sister, a daughter and a wife, we usually take time taking care of others  but we don’t make time to take care of ourselves. Prioritize your “me time”, don’t miss your own workout appointment, so that you can give more to others.

     3.    How you feel after a workout
I know the feeling of dread before working out. "Oh no, do I need to work out again?" We sometimes hear ourselves complain. All possible excuses comes to mind once you decide to workout.  Interestingly however, during a workout, the adrenalin and endorphins kick in, that after a workout, it beats having an espresso shot!
Post Cardio Martial Arts Endorphin high with my daughters
and  Miss Universe / Philippines' trainer John Cuay.
Store that feeling in your memory bank. Put that in your "happy place" and know that how you would feel afterwards would be a great motivator for your fitness goals. Tell yourself “You know you’re gonna have a blast and feel great after this workout  [INSERT NAME HERE], so let's do it!

     4.    Having fun
Find a workout that’s fun for you. 
I love biking. I love the feel of air in my face (provided that I’m not navigating C5’s  and EDSA’s pollution filled road), I love pedalling through the streets of the metro and racing jeepneys and cars (in my mind hahaha). I love it so much that time just flies – 30 mins to an hour is over without me noticing it. 
Make it FUN.
Find an exercise that’s spells F-U-N for you. If it isn’t, look for one. It might be running, or having an outdoor adventure, as long as you’re moving, it’s all good. I also love lifting weights (no, it does not make you bulk up like She Hulk), so I spend some time lifting in the gym too.
Yes, this is FUN for me.. You have to figure out what's FUN for you!

5.    How you’re going to look.
I have teens that love clothes shopping. 
Often times, we’d dress up and check out stuffs in the mall and they’d comment if it looks good or, if fat and flabs showImagine how consistent workout would let you buying the nice clothes that fits – Imagine how a fitter slimmer you can motivate. 
Imagine and let that visualization drive you. 
This was a recent photo after resolving to do something about it.
If 2015 was a not so physically good year, I will do my best to make 2016 better.
.
Once the changes start taking effect and unknowingly, someone notices it, it feels good and it makes you want to work out more.



No comments:

Post a Comment