Sunday, June 20, 2010

Women and Weightlifting


Why lift?
I ask you, why not..

It has been said that Filipinas are known to be shy, submissive and soft-spoken.
Not that I'm speaking in behalf of my sisses in our country, but, sad to say, that is the stereotype.
Well, a typical view for women is the so called "damsel-in-distress" who is always in a look out for her knight in shining armor to whisk her away from her misery.

This may also be the reason why most of us are afraid, or rather, hesitant to go to the gym and pick up those dumbbells, barbells and what-have-yous.

For most of us, most of the machines look like some scary contraption that might eat us alive.. my sisters, hear me out -- don't you know that those machines and iron that look frightingly intimidating to you is actually The Holy Grail of Fitness?



Yes.
Since I started my quest for fitness way back 2000, I have tried lots of things.
I started road running, dieting and various gadgets in home TV shopping that promised quick fix for a few minutes of your time.

I searched and searched until I finally got it.

That is why I decided to start this blog for those Filipinas and non-Filipinas alike who is in their own quest for a smaller waistline, lesser tummy fat, and stronger physique.

I wish for you to accompany me in this journey, share your thoughts and ask questions - for us to shed light to all those myths in Women and Weightlifting.

I believe that it's about time to get rid of the damsel in distress mentality and work our way to independence.
Join me in my quest as I share with you in my posts what worked for me.

Why lift? Because it works.

Here's hoping that it would work for you too.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the encouragement.
    I honestly want to workout but I dont know where to do it. There are alot of gym but all i can see are males going there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wyeth,
    It surely is a male dominated world out there - that's a fact. But don't mind them. Just do your stuff - besides, you're gonna be doing it for yourself and not for them anyway.
    Any gym would do as long as you feel comfy in it.
    :D

    ReplyDelete