Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fruits, My New Best Friend

Just recently, Xhi and I had decided to go on a 7-Day Detox Diet.
The first part of the diet is an "All Fruit Day" challenge.

When I was planning my groceries for the week, I was thinking to myself "Yeah, the most common would be oranges and apples" how hard could that be? But checking out my favorite grocery store near our area, I was amazed of the wide range of options I have in the fruit section!

There I saw blueberries, raspberries and all the other colorful anti-oxidants wrapped up in packs. I opted to go for a melon, seedless orange and some fruits that were all new for me -- nectarines, red pears, plums and persimmon.

The day ended with me filling up on fruits and just that. Cool. Today is All-Veggie day, but I do recommend that you try it out some time.

Sharing these ideas I read might stimulate your fruit consumption. 
So, why do we have to eat five to nine fresh pieces a day, organically grown if possible?



Republishing a post from thefruitpages.
 
For the largest part fruit consists of water just like the human body does
80% of our body is water so does 80% of fruit consist of water!

If you think about it, it's logical for the human body to consume food that contains as much water as the body itself. The nutrition that meets that requirement is fruit. There is no other food than fruit on this planet that contains on average 80% water. Vegetables also contain a lot of water and are therefore second best.

Fruit stimulates the memory
If you didn’t know yet: fruit is the ultimate brain fuel. Fruit has a positive effect on our brains. The way this works still has to be found out and many scientists are looking into it as we speak. What we do know is that if you consume fruit effectively, your brains can recall information faster and more easily. This is very useful information for people who are preparing for an exam. 
 
The idea that fruit is an expensive nutrition
Did you always think that fruit was an expensive product? Take a good look at how much money you spend on other food. It could be worth something to replace some of those expenses with fruit. We think that fruit is the healthiest food on earth and therefore it is well worth spending our money on.
 
The miraculous healing effects of fruit
Spectacular stories about people that cured from uncurable diseases by a strict diet of raw fruits and/or vegetables are well known but do we want to believe them? We still don't know that much about fruit and its contents.
 
Fibers
We do know now that a diet with plenty of fibers helps against high blood pressure, and other factors that increase the chance for a heart disease. The consumed amount of fibers maybe even a more important factor than the amount of fat that is consumed by people! The food that contains these healthy (natural) fibers is.... right: fruit! (vegetables as well). The American Heart Association advises to consume 25 to 30 grams of fibers out of fresh fruits and/or vegetables. In practice this means: have five to nine portions of fresh fruits or vegetables a day. 

Fruit makes you feel better
Several stories have told us about people that were frequently depressed and how they got out of their depression slowly but surely after consuming substantial amounts of fresh fruit on a regular basis. Eating much fruit can have a mysterious healing effect on human beings. Even better is to drink a lot of freshly squeezed fruit drinks on a regular basis. It will take approximately 30 days until you start to notice the effects. Don't forget to drink these smoothies 20 minutes before the consumption of other meals. This way the fruit will not ferment in the stomach and the nutritious elements can be absorbed by the blood effectively.
 
Fruit is the most natural food
When you see a piece of fruit hanging from a tree you could easily imagine that tree saying: "Pick my fruits and help me spread the seeds."  That’s how nature works. Humans eat vegetables and fruits and consequently help the plants to spread. Humans use animals to work the land to grow the plants and trees that produce these fruits and vegetables.
 
A human diet 
A healthy diet should consist for a great deal of freshly squeezed fruit juices, raw fruits and vegetables. Some tips:
  • A good start is to eat and drink more fresh fruits;
  • it’s as simple as that. Before you know it you will feel much better;
  • Don't forget to eat fruit on an empty stomach, not after other meals and;
  • inform yourself about the substances that our 'modern' food contains.
 

So fellow pinayfitness sisses, what are your favorite fruits?

4 comments:

  1. My favorite is grapefruit! I notice how when I eat fruit first thing in the morning, I don't get as hungry the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very good habit to have indeed! Masarap na, healthy pa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fruits and I miss them :( My diet right now doesn't include fruits. :( Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis!

      I usually don't have it in my diet much, good thing I was kinda "forced" to do this Detox, I realized what I've been missing! Basta daan ka lang sa fruit section pag napasyal sa sa grocery stores -- kaya yan sis!

      Delete