Monday, February 13, 2012

Run Forrest Run! But wait! How do you prepare for one? - Part 1


How can we forget that segment in the movie, “Forrest Gump,” when he describes why he started running?

So he says : “That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I’d run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I’d just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I’d run this far, maybe I’d just run across the great state of Alabama. And that’s what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason, I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I’d gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I’d gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going."

As he’s narrating his run where now hundreds are following him, he says, “I had run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours.” 

I wonder how our ultramarathoners would fare with that? Wait... three years two months fourteen days and sixteen hours.

WOW! How does one prepare for THAT?

With all the races going on in the metro, though we do not plan for a three year run, we still need to do preparation for our runs.  This article will be supplying you with information on how to arm yourself for THE BIG RACE.

Pre-Race Night:
  • Have all your stuff needed for the run ready. Put out the running outfit you have, chose your colors to further motivate you to run. I remember Coach Xhi would always make it a point to wear orange in her runs and I had wanted the color pink. A splash of color during the race makes it more fun. Prepare your outfit and your equipment (water bottle, energy bars / gels, cap, iPod playlist, etc.) so that its all ready to go for the next day.
  • Make sure that your toenails are trimmed the night before so that they won't be caught dead the next day!
  • Hydrate yourself. Water (and the rest room) is your friend.
  • Put in your 8 hours so that you'd be up and about during the race. You wouldn't want to be on low battery by running on just a few hours of sleep!
Race Day Preparation:
  • The early bird catches the worm, and would have the time to eat a light breakfast.You would definitely need it for energy.
  • Never underestimate the power of the anti-chaffing petroleum jelly.
  • Make sure that you have your race kit with you!
  • Expect parking to be far from the race venue so leave early and plan for time to park - use the walking time from the parking to race venue as warm up.
  • Do jumping jacks, dynamic stretches or what ever works as warm up before you race. For some, a slow jog also helps.


Nutrition and Fueling Strategy
  • Before the race DO eat a light meal an hour to an hour and a half. Bread, pasta, rice, water and non-acidic fruit like bananas are good choices.
  • DO NOT eat or drink something you have never ever tried before. Add to the list are dairy products, fried foods, fiber rich foods or anything you are not used to. 
  • Pre-hydration is ok until 15 minutes before the race starts as long as you could still go to the restroom before the start (good luck with the long lines though)
 Next post will be regarding the race itself.


Read here:  Run Forrest Run! But wait! How do you prepare for one? - Part 2


    No comments:

    Post a Comment